These days, InvisalignⓇ gets all of the press. The truth is, traditional braces are still highly effective and, in many cases, preferred to orthodontic methods that use aligner trays. At A+ Dentistry, we are firm believers in traditional braces and want to bring you up to speed on how braces have changed since you were a child.
Bands and Brackets, Leaps and Bounds
Traditional braces still function the same as they always have: brackets are bonded to the teeth, wires are placed on the brackets, and bands hold the wires in place so they can get to the business of moving teeth into alignment. There are other areas in which braces have improved by leaps and bounds, however, including:
- Using flatter, smaller brackets that prevent protruding lips
- Using clear brackets for a more subtle look
- Using wires made of materials that are far more comfortable than they were decades ago
- Using superior bonding materials that prevent “spots” being left behind on the teeth after the braces are removed
- Using multi-colored bands that allow patients to get creative with their looks, such as using red and white to support the Braves
Those They’re Ideal For
Clear aligners, such as InvisalignⓇ, are great, but they do require a certain amount of discipline. Not everyone can be counted on to wear their aligner trays for at least 22 hours each day, remove them when they eat, or clean their teeth properly before putting them back in place. Then there is always the risk of losing the aligner trays when they’re not in the mouth. While teenagers tend to fall under these categories, some adults know their limitations and select traditional braces, as well. Traditional braces stay in place, leaving patients with no choice but to let the wires do their work.
If you’ve been putting off orthodontic treatment for yourself or a loved one, now is the time to act. Traditional braces are still “a thing,” and a very effective thing, at that. If you live in or near Cumming, Georgia, we’d love to straighten out those pearly whites for you. Contact A+ Dentistry to schedule an appointment.